Shank and Company, CPA, began filing taxes in January 2019 for the year 2018. As of today, we are only under a month away from Tax Day, April 15, 2019. You MUST have your W-2 Form to be able to have your personal income taxes filed. Your W-2 contains information on your employer’s address, your wages for the year, the income withheld throughout the year, as well as your name, address, and social security number. This information will be used to file your taxes for 2018, and it MUST be correct. In filing clients’ tax returns this year, we have discovered some incidental findings in regards to incorrect information on clients’ W-2 Forms. As such, we want our clients, whether current or prospective, to be aware of some of these errors found.

Here are some of the errors that we have found. Other errors on your W-2 Form could occur as this list is NOT exhaustive.

  1. Verify your address

This is especially important if you have filed for a change of address in the year 2018.

  1. Verify your social security number

Your Social Security number is used in filing your taxes and it is also listed on your W-2 Form. It is imperative that this number matches across both your W-2 and your tax return.

  1. Verify the spelling of your name. If you’ve had your name changed, verify that as well.

Similar to your social security number, your name must match across your W-2, your tax return, and other important documents.

We advise that you always open and review your W-2 Form to ensure that all information on the document is correct. If you find any errors, contact your employer immediately. Shank and Company, CPA, cannot correct W-2 Forms.

Reviewing the information on your W-2 Form every year will ensure that you save yourself time when it comes to filing your taxes for the current year.


***NOTE: We do NOT and CANNOT fix mistakes on W-2 Forms, nor are we in the business of checking them for correctness. This year we have found a record number of mistakes on W-2 Forms. Fixing any mistake on your W-2 Form is the duty of your employer.***

Related Posts

Personal Tax Advice

How We Compare to Tax Chains and Tax Software

How Does Shank & Company, CPA, Compare to TurboTax, Liberty Tax, and H&R Block?     Shank and Company Vs. Liberty Tax/H&R Block   If you go to H&R Block or Liberty Tax, you will Read more…

Personal Tax Advice

Why You Should Go to a Small CPA Firm

It’s a common misconception that it is easier for you to utilize TurboTax software or schedule an appointment at Liberty Tax, H&R Block, or a bigger CPA firm to get your taxes done.  Nothing is Read more…

Personal Tax Advice

Beating the Form Jitters – Filling Out Your W-4

Let’s be honest. Something about the phrase “fill out this form” gets our insides all in a twist. It sounds so ominous and so unnecessarily complicated. For the veterans who spend their lives regurgitating their Read more…